• BodyDesignbyWendy


Updated: Jan 26, 2019

6 Reasons Why You're Not Burning FAT

Have you been working out hard, denying yourself all the foods you love, and counting every calorie for the last 6 months but still aren’t seeing the results you would like? Well, it could be from one of these common errors:

Your measurements are off

One of the most common reason people don't lose any weight is because they simply can’t measure their food correctly. How much nut butter do you have? If you have a teaspoon, how much was actually on your spoon? If you've been estimating it to be about one teaspoon, it’s probably closer to two, or even more. If so, you've just added 80-100 calories to your diet. Now this might not sound much, but add it to everything else you’re eating and it adds up.

Nut butters are a great but they are calorie dense and we don't usually get out the measuring spoons for a little dab of it. A lot of us often make the same mistake with other high-calorie foods such as a bowl of pasta, or nuts, or a spread of butter on your toast. It's easy to see why your weight won’t budge.

You over-indulge on the weekends

How many times have you heard someone say that they eat really well… during the week? But come the weekend, it’s a different story. It's not enough to just follow it during the week. Weekends count, too. It might sound like ‘just the weekend’ but it’s almost 30 percent of your total week. You can relax and allow yourself an enjoyable meal (and a little desert if you want) but that doesn’t mean you completely fall off the wagon.

Try the 80/20 (or 90/10) rule instead: Eat really well for 80 percent of the time, and relax and enjoy yourself for the remaining 20 percent. This allows you to indulge a little, but helps you stay mainly on the right path. It’s also much better for your health.

Following a ‘70/30’ rule is never going to produce results you’re looking for.

You're not adjusting your program

People also fail to see results because they don't adjust their program. Most people will start their diet plan, start seeing great results, and then just keep doing what they did at the start, expecting more of the same results to follow. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work like that. Your body changes and adapts in response to your plan, so your plan needs to change, too.

The leaner you are, the more your body will want to slip into starvation mode to conserve energy. Hello carbs! As counter-productive as it sounds, consuming more carbs (good carbs that is) can actually help you avoid that reaction. By increasing your carb intake, you can also optimise your insulin sensitivity and release of the hormone leptin, which has been shown to help maintain body weight.

You’re doing do too many ‘steady state’ cardio workouts

To lose weight, you must work do cardio, right? There's nothing wrong with going for a long run or bike ride, etc —unless you get too fixated on workout out this way. If you just hop on the cardio machines the entire time, simply because these machines give you a calorie-burn number, your progress will come to a screeching halt.

Doing weights can produce the most significant changes to your body. Not only does lifting help you burn fat overall, it also helps reshape your body. If you’re not sure on what you should be doing in the gym join a class or check out my new ‘training programs’.

You treat yourself post workout

A common post-workout mistake: treating yourself to a sugary, sweet snack after a big workout, whether will hinder all the strength and cardiovascular improvements you gained during that workout session. You absolutely do want to refuel post-workout, just don't consume another 400 ‘empty’ calories in the process. Your body needs a combination good carbs and also protein. Refuel with good, nutritious food.

You've been eating a low calorie diet for far too long

If you have been counting every single calorie everyday for longer than 3 months and always have that unsatisfied feeling, then something must change. Prolonged dieting can put you in a reduced-calorie state. This starvation mode slows your metabolism. Yes, you're consuming fewer calories, but you're also burning fewer, which means you won’t make any progress.

If this sounds familiar, then it’s time to relax. Seriously! This doesn’t mean you have to absolutely stuff yourself, but don't be afraid to eat a few extra things you haven’t had in a while and don’t count or weigh your food at least 4 weeks. Your body will start working more efficiently and you will have more energy to work harder and results will start to be noticeable again.

Need help? Try my customised diet plans or for a ‘quick fix’ try my Get Shredded Meal Plans. Short term, easy to follow meal plans to shock your metabolism to get you lean.


47-49 King Street





Get my news and updates

Norwood SA 5067

©2018 by Wendy Broekx - BodyDesignbyWendy